Random Thoughts on the Drive Home

Driving home from work today, I glanced up at my rear view mirror . . . and immediately thought that Stanley Tucci was driving the red '79 Ford pickup truck behind me. I mean, I couldn't really see the person behind me . . . it was more like the silhouette of him. Not that I've ever really thought about the silhouette of Stanley Tucci, but today I imagined the man behind me looked like what the silhouette of Stanley Tucci would look like.

Although, it wasn't . . . of course.

Just like it wasn't Kenny Rogers driving the black corvette in front of me. Although, the man driving the car in front of me really did look like Kenny Rogers . . . from behind. Really . . . he looked exactly as I thought he would. But I knew that it couldn't be. I mean, I'm driving around in a south suburb of Chicago . . . we don't have many celebrities around here.

When we were in Magic Kingdom last month, I laughed when one of the ride operators at Magic Kingdom made small talk with us and, upon finding out we were from Chicago, asked, "How's Oprah??" I actually did see Oprah . . . once . . . when I was at a taping of her talk show in 2001. It was an emotional show about September 11th, so it wasn't a very joyous introduction to Ms. O. However, I was seated in an aisle seat and when Oprah entered and walked down the aisle, I reached out and grabbed her hand. Yes . . . I touched Oprah (that would have been a much better "grabber" kind of post title, wouldn't it? "The Day I Touched Oprah".)

Other than "the day I touched Oprah" (see, now I'm going to use it all of the time), I can't really say that I've been near someone famous before.  The closest I've probably been to a celebrity, was when PG and I went to a near by Cracker Barrel for dinner one night and heard a bunch of hubbub going on about a certain Sherman Hemsley, who was sitting a few tables away from us eating his dinner. You know Sherman Hemsley, right?  Well, of course you do! He was Mr. Jefferson, you know! I remember thinking, 'Wow! Sherman Hemsley is eating a biscuit just a few tables away.'   Yes. . . I am easily impressed. ; )

I wonder what it is like in Los Angeles. Last week I remember hearing that a rather well-known television actress was in a minor car accident as she drove her car in L.A. (no injuries, thank goodness.) I wondered if driving ones car in LA, do you always see celebrities everywhere? I have only been to Los Angeles once - it was a couple years ago, and I was there for a business trip. I almost had whiplash a number of times during that trip, as the minute I stepped off the plane, I eagerly looked everywhere to spot someone * * famous * *. My time there came and went, without so much as a mini-second glance of anyone from the big (or small) screen. I was a bit bummed . . . until, walking down Hollywood Blvd one night, my co-workers had me take a photo with one of those cardboard cut out figures of Brad Pitt. I'll have to share that photo with you some day.

So today my random thoughts took me on an adventure of the celebrity kind. . . If you happen to be a west coast blog friend, have you ever seen Stanley Tucci or Kenny Rogers driving next to you? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comments

  1. i do very many random thoughts...:) this post reminds me of them. it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too cute!!

    My favorite celeb (meeting) was the dad from Good Times! (He was in a one man Broadway show, and he came to my TV station to promote it.) I always like him. BTW - really nice guy.

    Or Lady Aberlin from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (My theater teacher) PS Her name is Betty Jones

    Carrie Preston (from True Blood) was in my theater class with Lady Aberlin. ;-) (Betty's husband was from my home town, as well as Carrie.

    And my final (biggest star) I suppose - would be Obama. ;-) I have pic with him!

    Tucci & Rogers.. soooo random and I would have it no other way from you!!! hahahahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so bad, I probably wouldn't recognize a celebrity if they were standing right next to me.

    Unless it was Lassie, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute post! I have a few celebrity sitings...I may have to do a post:)

    Love your new background...very cute. I changed mine a bit today, too:)

    Hope all is well!!

    Love,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met Ringo Starr when I was 16. If I hadn't married hubby, Ringo was my other true love. But he's happy with Barbara Bach and I'm in love with hubby, so it all works out... :)

    I always think I'm seeing people though. Being face blind makes it hard to tell people apart, so anyone with a celeb's hair cut, clothes or general build can convice me I'm near a star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oprah and Sherman Hemsley?!? Now THERE'S a combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay now you're really going to be jealous, but I saw both Jack Nicholson and Leonardo diCaprio off the Champs Elysées on two separate occasions. And Meg Ryan was filming French Kiss on my block when I was an au pair, but I didn't go down to see her - oh yeah! I saw her in SoHo once, but she looked really stressed that someone might recognize her. Madonna did yoga in my building when I worked in SoHo ... who else? Oh yes, Mr. Bean ) also in SoHo.

    But truth be told, I'm not that star crazy.

    Oh yes - I was an extra in the last scene of that movie with Ben Stiller and Darma from Darma and Greg, so I saw them. I think that's all. I would be more star struck to meet Obama though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm. I've got a whole lot of nothing in this department. Except for- oh! I saw Richard Simmons in an airport once! And my sister-in-law to be dated some guy from the Real World for a while. Huh. Maybe I need to get out more!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from the West Coast, and living in California, I can attest that you don't see celebrities just popping in and out of your local Starbucks. Unless maybe, you live in Malibu. Housing options there are either multi-million, or "van down by the river", so we don't live there. :)

    I've been to LA a number of times, and never saw a celebrity "on the street". We did see Anthony Perkins at Universal Studios, and Kirk Cameron at a service at his church. Kevin Bacon and his band played at our county fair (which is odd because he's a NYC guy).

    Lastly, hubs and I did see Grant from Mythbusters when we were in Monterey last year. That was fun - we didn't bug him though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun post! I'm afraid I got nAda on the celeb front. Sad isn't it? But I totally loved this post. I will live vicariously through you. Oh & I have never been to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't want to brag, but HOB peed next to Telly Savalas once....

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, I love Stanley Tucci, and yes, I am sure he was driving behind you! But regarding Kenny Rodgers -- are you SURE it was Kenny? I mean, the guy has had so much face work done, that he is unrecognizable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LeeAnne, those are some funny random thoughts! I do live in Los Angeles and I have seen lots of celebrities, but mostly because I used to work in the film industry and saw celebrities every day on the studio lot where I worked. In Los Angeles when you see someone who looks like a celebrity, it usually is the celebrity! I'm terrible at noticing them. I only see them if I'm with a friend who notices. If you ever come to Los Angeles again I'll let you know where to go for best celebrity sightings. But I've never seen Stanley Tucci or Kenny Rogers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could so see you doing this! You made me laugh out loud! I once saw Oprah walking downtown and Queen Latifah at the Cracker Barrel by my house. Seems like a happenin' place, that Cracker Barrel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HA! To funny!! I've actually been to Chicago once and while I was there I saw 4 celebs! Lou Diamond Phillips stayed in our hotel, We sat by Ken Griffey Jr. while having dinner at Joe's Stone Crab, we had drinks with Jesse Mcartney at a bar and we had attended a private concert from Nelly. Well the first 2 were random, the last two were actually spokesman for our energy drink so we set those meetings up ;) As for L.A. I've been stuck on the freeway next to Fergie and Josh Duhamel. Stuck on the freeway next to Kate Hudson. On a walk with Dennis Miller the list could go on. Don't even get me started on Vegas. I've "met" everyone from Robin Williams, Cindy Crawford all the way down to Paris Hilton and Jenna Jameson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!