Maximum Occupancy

Time for another “Random Thinking Moment” – it’s been way too long, don’t you think? This one came to me after lunch one day a few weeks ago . . .

I often wonder, when I see these “Maximum Occupancy” signs, how they come up with the maximum number? Do they allow a certain amount of square footage per person, and then do the simple math to determine how many people can fit into a space? What if one person takes up more square footage than another person? Do they take that into consideration? How about the space that the general public doesn’t go into, but perhaps the working staff occupies? Do they deduct that square footage from the other space, and adjust the number that way?

What about elevators? I often thought about how they post the weight limit on an elevator . . . I would imagine that the elevator people test it and determine what maximum weight an elevator can withstand. However, how do you really know the weight of the people riding the elevator, and if you are anywhere close to the limit? I often find myself doing calculations in my head, checking out the other people with me and trying to guess their weight, wondering if we are going to make it up to the top. What if they had a scale that showed the weight being held in the elevator, and then each time someone else entered, the number would be adjusted. That would really kill me if entered the elevator and some red flashing light would display my weight for all to see, or if some math genius next to me would quickly calculate my weight and determine that we were in trouble. Or worse, could you imagine how awful if you were the one entering that caused the elevator to reach its maximum limit? What if a big buzzer went off and a loud voice overhead said, “The elevator has reached it maximum weight limit. Please exit the elevator immediately.” Oh, how awful that would be . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . .

I asked my husband how many people would be the maximum occupancy of a place like Potbelly Sandwich. He thought maybe 100 people. That seems like a lot of hungry sandwich loving people. Do they determine it by the seating? Can our nearby Potbelly really hold 100 people in it? What if it was 100 of my closest blog friends, gathering for a little TLC and PB&J. Now that would be cool. Oh, we’d have lots to talk about, wouldn’t we?

I remember probably 20 years ago, when I was single and living at home with the parents, that a Walgreens drug store was being built in our neighborhood. My mother had much stress over the building of this store, which was placed on a tight corner lot in a pretty congested part of town. Every single time we passed the construction site, my mom would fret, "Where in the world are all of the people going to park?", as their parking lot clearly wasn't large enough for Mom's liking. I would laugh and laugh at her statement, always telling her, "Mom, why are you so concerned over where they will park?" I laugh right now as I think about these "random thinking moments" of Maximum occupancy and am reminded that the older I get, the more I am like my Mom. You won't find me admitting to that very often, but this time, I do think it's true.

Well, that’s all for this installment of my Random Thinking Moments. Thanks for letting me share my most recent silly thoughts with you. And remember . . . the next time you’re on an elevator with me, you’ll know what I’m trying to figure out!

;)

What Random Thinking Moment have you had recently? Leave me a comment, I’d love to know!

Comments

  1. How funny! I do the same thing in elevators - wonder if I'm going to set of the limit and we'll all plummet to our deaths and in the end, they'll know it was me. Oh, and thanks, now I want Potbelly...their PB&J on Wheat...OMG, that's a happy sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten at a Potbelly place, sounds yummy!

    What I do is if I see something odd while we're out and about, I tend to obsess over what's going on and try to figure it out. My husband is always telling me to 'let it go'

    Although Leanne, I do find myself acting more and more like my mom as I get older too. But that's ok, she's great, I find it an honor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lift capacity thing freaks me out a bit too...what if we're overloaded?
    I've been wondering why there are TV adverts for antiperspirant deodorants that offer "48 hour" protection....surely most people shower at least once a day, washing off said deo? Or are they encouraging bad hygiene habits? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wondered that too! Sometimes I even try to mentally calculate everyone's weight just before the doors close. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also find myself saying, verbatim, things my mother used to say when I was growing up. Scary. Or Funny, depending on how you look at it! I have a thing for bridges when I'm in a car. I hate being stopped on a bridge. I start wondering if the bridge can hold all the weight of all the cars and trucks and my mind goes places it shouldn't.....I think next time I see an elevator I'll take the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Sorry - had to re-post due to a typo). Anyway, your "random thinking moment" is now getting to me! While I was dusting the nightstand (next to the bed) today, I started thinking about the clock radio. See, I've had this clock radio since I was in high school, and it still works just great! So, how long will this thing last? What is the shelf life of clock radios? All things have a shelf life, don't they? Hum... too many random thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I pride myself in being quite random...I can't say I have ever thought about that. Of course, now I am! Thank a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahahahahhaaa. OMG.. the elevator comment. YOU ARE KILLING ME. You deserve your own award for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never thought about that on elevators before, but I think I will NOW. In fact, I haven't really thought about it at all. I am afraid that you may have opened a big ole can of worms. Each time I go somewhere I will be calcultating maximum occupancy. You know what that means, don't you? My brain can only hold so much information, so I am likely to forget at least one of the things I was there for in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Leanne, I started posting a comment last night and mmy daughter woke up. It was pretty profound too. Thank you for your comment. I hope Little Chick feels better soon. This has been one long month for her and I just want her to get a break from feeling icky. About the maximum occupancy, I thought about it also. This is one of those posts that you read and say, Hmmmmmm I thought about that but never said anything. Yeah, a flashing light telling our weight would not be so fun! I hope you are well. Have a great night! I have a giveaway. I never really do them, but the book has a great lesson. Have a good night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  12. we just had this chat at the memphis airport. there is a small area of street level long term parking, but the sign is posted "this level full." though if you look at the sign, it's bolted to the concrete, so that sign is up 24/7/365 even though no one knows how full it actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! My mom used to always fret about where people would park when any new establishment went up in town! Thanks for the giggle! :)
    Beautiful Blog! I also, find much happiness amongst my chaos. Life can be quite beautiful when it is messy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I randomly whisper like "Brick" in "the Middle" tv show... just for fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe I just may carry around a marker and change those numbers on signs now, just for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually have thought all of those things myself. Aren't we funny? Hmmmm, random thinking moment....my mind is blank. I don't know.

    What I DO know is I adore your new bloggy background...so vintage.

    Have a marvelous day!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!