31 Days: Day 1 - Photography

My Creative Focus for today: Photography
  1. CHALLENGE:  to take some really interesting photographs. Pay close attention to the lighting, colors, and focus (oh, yeah, that's a big one that I often have a problem with - the ol' FOCUS thing!).
  2. CREATE a delicious meal using some of the vegetables we have grown in our garden.
Since today was a work day, I was really up for incorporating dinner into my creativity adventure. It was pretty easy to do that . . . because I had the perfect menu idea. And the ingredients all fit well in line with some great photos. One of the things I really wanted to do this year was improve my photography skills. You see, I am NOT a photographer. I can't even claim to do it as a hobby. Most of the good shots you might see on this blog have been taken by PG (with the exception of one or two.) But I long to BE a good photographer. I do. So, today is about stretching my wings and letting go of the inhibitions that I usually carry with me when I have the camera in my hands.

I decided today, to really FOCUS on taking pictures. Not just the focusing part ... but by paying attention to how things look through the lens. Where things are in relation to each other in my shot. Where the lighting is coming from. What is in the background. These may seem like common sense things to you - but to me, I really never paid much attention to the photos I was taking. I just held the camera up, snapped the picture, and prayed that everyone had their eyes open, or that the shot wasn't blurry.

Today, I'm spending a little more time on the creative end of it. It was eye opening, for sure. There are some blogs out there with really great photographers that I've been closely watching for inspiration recently; Betty, Lisa, and Julie. They each have such an amazing eye for what they are shooting. I hope I make them proud.

Here is, by far, my most successful shot of the night:

I love the lighting, the contrast and vivid colors, and all of the textures in this shot.

Here are a couple runner-ups:



Not bad. I still think the first photo was pretty good. Although I loved the really close up shot of the pasta dish. And the one of Ella - well, I had to throw that in because she just devoured the pasta - she opened her mouth that wide for absolutely every bite!

The best part of the dinner:

I made enough for leftovers!!! Tomorrow is a work day, too, so these will come in handy.

Another big creative part of this dinner was making this awesome meal with so many of the items from our very own garden. Tomatoes sauteed in a pan with a little EVOO and garlic, add fresh basil, toss with cooked pasta and fresh mozzarella (that spent about 10 minutes in the freezer before adding - so it doesn't melt immediately), all made this a beautiful and delicious CREATIVE dinner.

Thanks for letting me share a little bit of my creativity with you. I hope to have a few more photography focused moments throughout the next 31 Days. (Oooo - and I also created a new "creative" type of blog header - and got rid of the blog background and colors. I want to make the next 31 days a focus on the posts themselves - and not the background. I hope you like the new header!!)

(This post is part of the Words of Me Project "31 Days: write.create.be.")

Comments

  1. Well done!!! And now I am hungry.. lol.

    Seriously - the colors were vibrant, you could see the texture.. and it looked sooo close, I could almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great textures and colors. And now I HAVE to make that for dinner, made my mouth water.
    Awesome new header, love the colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pictures! Gave me a great recipe idea, looks so delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow missy, what great pictures! I feel like I can reach out and actually touch them. Good work and the salad looks very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos!!!! You should use these for some scrapbook pages. Also, love the new header. "Bouquets of sharpened pencils..." Name that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're right! that first photo is food-blogger worthy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos...that first one is amazing. How wonderful for your family that you're choosing to be creative in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, BOSSY Betty here in all my BOSSY glory! First, of all you are not permitted EVER to say you are "NOT a photographer" as cited in line Four, section three of your blog post today.

    I believe in the power of self-talk, of intention. If you say you are not a photographer, the universe hears that and believes it and it becomes true. You so clearly ARE a photographer! Believe it, embrace it, and feel it. It is part of your creativity that you may not have developed all your talents in YET, but it is there, waiting to be fully developed.

    So sweet thing, let me tell you I am CRAZY about the first picture--the composition, the colors--incredible! The picture of Ella is great too!!! And the close-up of the salad--I like it as well.

    Congratulations, Photographer. You are on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so today I am making homemade spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from our garden!! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    These photos are mouthwatering!!

    Yum!

    And little Ella...darling:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures look great, and can I just say YUM! Looks dee-lish!

    --Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks beyond yummy, and your daughter seems to not be able to get enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite, and I think your best, is the close up of the completed pasta...I like the way you have it off center like that...It is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL love Bettys comment! I when to the store and am going to make this for dinner...I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lee I have sat through and supervised many food shoots over the years - the tricks, oils, food coloring, etc, that they use to make the food look great - well - without all the tricks (though I know they use them because food can stand for several minutes or more), I have to say the composition and color are wonderful and making good good is tough but making food look good in a pic is tougher - Kudos!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT photos Leanne!! Those tomatoes look sooo good and I'm absolutely thoroughly hungry now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES to what betty said!!! you are a photographer! the photo of your little girl is stunning! you captured the beauty and joy and security a little one feels when being fed and nurtured. bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!