What is in your box?

I have recently dusted off an old favorite book of mine written by the amazingly gifted storyteller and inspirational soul, Anne Lamott, called "Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith". I'm sure you have heard of Anne Lamott. She is wise. She is deep. She is truly one of the most gifted writers I've ever had the privilege to read, and I find myself lost in the stories she tells and the lessons she shares. Her writing style is what I could only dream mine would be, and the inspiration in the words she puts together always leave me feeling at peace.

In this particular book, she brings up the whole subject of a "God Box". . . and years ago, when I first read her story, I quickly went to work coming up with my very own God Box. The concept behind the box is just as you would imagine: a dedicated box where you can write down your thoughts, names, or whatever it is that is troubling you in your life and put it in the God Box, as if you are routing it to the Big Man upstairs to do with what he may. (Here is a little post I found online, in her own words, about the whole idea, titled, "Sometimes We Need a Little Help from Upper Management." Seriously . . . isn't that great?)

I love everything about that whole concept, because I am a believer. I may not attend church weekly (I know, I really need to work on that.) I may not always preach the words of the Big Guy. But, I believe. I have to. It is what helps me make it through my darkest times. It is the life I try to live. It is the hope. The faith. The belief that if we live a life of "good", we will be rewarded in the end. We will all meet again. Yes, that's who I am.

So, this week I've been feeling a little melancholy (PG is leaving tomorrow for a long 3+ week business trip that will take him to 4 different states practically from coast to coast) and sorry for myself. I've been feeling jealous of people and what they have. Jealous of where they are in life. Angry that PG and I work so hard yet still struggle month to month. Let me tell you, I've been in need of "a little help from upper management". I pulled down Anne's book and started to read . . . and came to the God Box part. 

Hmmmmm . . . I had forgotten about that. I knew I had my very own "GB" somewhere. Where was it? So I went searching high and low through my dresser drawers and finally found it. My God Box.  Here is it . . .


This particular box was given to me as a gift from PG's Aunt Vicki, as she discovered her love of tile, beads and boxes about 5 years ago. The minute she gave it to me, I thought it would be a perfect little box for God. I said a few prayers and put in on my dresser, and I used it for quite a while. When life was hard and dark, when thoughts of happiness took a vacation and I found my head visiting Crankville, when I struggled with my relationships with people around me, I would simply write a little something on a small piece of paper, and put it in the box. Then I would say a prayer to the Big Man - asking for guidance and strength. And it always felt like the thing that bothered me would slowly be lifted from my thoughts, and peace would follow.

About a little over a year ago we were painting our bedroom, and all items on top of the dresser were put away for a short time. This box found itself into the back of my negligee drawer . . . and there it has been since that time (that tells ya how long it's been since I've dusted things out in that drawer!) Anyway, this week I found it and pulled it out and opened it up. To my surprise, there were two little pieces of paper inside . . .


So, I opened them. I was shocked to find that those two little pieces contained the words associated with the very same things that I am struggling with this week. How strange, isn't it? I mean - it's been a year, and still I am struggling with the same things, the same issues, the same people.

I don't know what this means - but I'm certain there is a lesson in there somewhere. There is some sort of message and meaning behind why these things still bother me. A reason why, a year later, I am no more at peace with these parts of my life that I was back then. So today, I am writing something else and putting it in my God Box. Today, just one word and one phrase. . .

Acceptance: the first step in healing

For the past year, I don't think I've ever accepted these things, these people, as they were. I looked to God to help me with my issues with them, but I never accepted. And today it hit me. For me to move on, I must accept.

Then, I can heal.

And soon I can put something else in my God Box.

So, what about you? Anything in your box lately? You don't have to share names or specifics, but I'm just really wondering if you had things in your life that you are working through - and how you go about doing that. Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. Wow, this is a fantastic post, Leanne.

    I have not ever read Anne Lamott, but apparently, I need to. I love this idea of the God Box.

    I, too, easily slip into feeling like I should have more, or that I want more, and feel envy and all that crap, instead of contentment. I, too, have people and issues that I can't seem to shake. they are a dark cloud that keeps hovering back over me, try as I might to step back into the sun. Most of the time, I can see that the situation that gives me grief is also the one that has given me a great blessing, but other days it is more difficult.

    I need a God Box. May go hunt this book down right away. Thanks for the great message today, and I hope that soon you'll be able to put another piece of paper in that box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Leanne! Everything that Gigi said are the words that would've come out of my mouth!

    I need a God Box - the idea is wonderful.

    I also put the book on my "to read" list.

    Thank you for introducing me to both things.

    Acceptance is such an easy word, but being able to actually do it is an entirely different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird is one of my all-time favorite books. I think the word that I should add is "appreciation." It's related to acceptance, because I would like to naturally accept myself and others as I/they are, and what I have without hungering to have or to be more. Appreciation for what I am and what I have is the first step. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne lamott is one of my favorite authors...real and authentic. i don't have a god box, but i do have issues in my life i am working through...i don't think that ever stops...
    god is able to bring his heart in to your heart...just ask and commit..
    he is good...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOh this is a good one. Yes. I have a big one to put in the God box - it's to hang on to love.

    Excellent idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leanne!

    Love the idea of a God Box. Most of all I love the idea of acceptance.

    You are on your way, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't is amazing how messages come to us when we really need it? This post was really great! I have not read the book you wrote here about, but will have to get it! The box is an example of your believing. Have a great night! Just so you know, you are not alone. My husband travels all the time and I am always taking care of everything alone.

    Mama hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read anything by Anne Lamott but if your looking for another good book to read that hits close to home, you can never go wrong with the Bible.

    Love the box, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read her books, although I think we talked about her. What's in my God Box? I guess I'm looking for some help with focus. Sometimes I think when you have so many things going, you need to narrow down where to focus your energy. That's what I need to work through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I had to take a double take at the picture because I thought to myself, "Self, that box looks like a Vicki creation" Of course I hadn't read on to see that indeed, it was a Vicki creation. Gave me a little chuckle. Secondly I totally think this is a great idea and I had something similar for quite some time until last night! Isn't this a strange twist of fate? Settle in and I'll explain.....
    See for me, in my God box, it would say "Organization", this translates to the almost Hoarders-like episode that could be happening in my basement. I have boxes there from when I lived in Arizona! So my new mantra is "donate it" and I started tackling this yesterday. Just so happens that I come across my own God box, is was a small jar that I found out West somewhere. Angelo asked me if it was staying or going, and in following my mantra I said "donate it!" and it is gone. But now I read your post and am feeling like I should of kept it, but maybe this is just hoarder thinking. Possibly my God Box should be a Word Doc on my computer so that it doesn't take up physical space, I mean you have seen my basement haven't you?
    I love that you are using Vicki's box, I think I will call and tell her and perhaps she will send you some more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful post, Leanne. I've never had a God box before, but I made Ana an Angel Box before she was born, for the very same purpose. I'm so glad you shared it. I'll have to remind her how to use it and maybe make a little one for myself...maybe a big one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leanne, I love this post! Very powerful, and reminds many of us that we're not alone. My husband was with the same company for more than 15 years and was laid off recently because of the economy. It was already challenging before that happened, but now has become even more so as you could expect. I have really relied on God to help us, and so far, He has not let me down! I am going to dedicate a God Box before going to bed tonight. Thank you so very much!

    Hugs & Love,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I read this when you originally posted it!

    What a great concept! I haven't heard of the author (I'm stunned that I haven't, sounds right up my alley!)

    I'll be making my own "God Box."

    Thanks, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!