A Man and His Hoover

I've been thinking about my Dad a lot lately. Probably because Father's Day has passed, and Dad's birthday falls in mid-August. It always seems that summer daydreams tend to lead towards him one way or another, you know? I've written about him before (you probably think you know him quite well), but believe me ... I have even more stories to share about dear old Dad. My oldest brother likes to read when I write about our father. My brother is 10 years older than me, and he has told me that he doesn't remember all of the things about Dad that I do. So, this one is for you - brother.

Another reason I find myself drifting to thoughts of Dad during the summer is because Dad really enjoyed the summer. This man had the kind of skin that would tan simply by walking to and from the mailbox. I think I take after him in the tanning department. My parents home had a long drive-way that went from the street, up past the house and led to the backyard where their garage was. You could often find Dad sitting in a lawn chair right at the end of the drive-way, just looking down at the path before him. It was almost as if he sat there waiting for . . . something . . . or someone . . . to pull up. I was always amused at how he would sit there - because in the backyard not very far from where he would sit, was a lovely screen house and patio. But he rarely sat in it. You would always pull up and find him at the end of the driveway.

You know, I'm not usually a girl of "wishes." But I have to tell you . . . if a genie with a bottle suddenly appeared before me, I know exactly what my 3 wishes would be. 1) That my daughters would live long, happy, and healthy lives, 2) That I could have 1 more afternoon to play Yahtzee with my Grandma and 3) That I could drive up that drive-way and find my Dad sitting there one more time. Yep, those would be my 3 wishes. Silly, huh?

Anyway, back to thoughts of my Dad.

Another moment when I found myself thinking about my Dad was on the 4th of July. No, not because of the patriotism that is associated with it (although Dad was a very patriotic American and always flew his flag proudly). But I thought of him shortly after the evening fell, when I glanced down onto my family room floor and saw a number of crumbs on the carpet. You see, I had a house full of people . . . those crumbs would have to wait. However, if I were my father, I would have thought NOTHING about pulling out the Hoover and vacuuming. I think I mentioned it somewhere here before that my Dad was really Felix from the Odd couple - that if a spoon was left in the sink, Dad would find who put it there and remind you that you could have washed it and put it away. He also HATED to find garbage in the garbage can (I KNOW! I mean - imagine that one!) Anyway, you know how they say that mans best friend is his dog? Well, not to my Dad. My Dad's best friend was his vacuum. Seriously. And he would think nothing about pulling the ol'Hoover out right in the middle of a party and start vacumming under peoples feet. It's not that he wanted people to leave - he just couldn't relax until things were in order, so if that meant vacuuming while the guests were still over - well, so be it. It got to be quite fun when Dad would pull out the vacuum (our family started to look forward to it as the years went on. We would all eagerly lift our feet to welcome the cleaning ... and loved to point out areas of crumb here or there for Dad to go after.)

Although, being a teenager and having to live with this "Felix" wasn't always fun. I remember Dad and I had our routine when it came to cleaning the house - as Dad was home from work right around the time that I would be home from school. My parents had a split level house - and every day I would dust and vacuum the upstairs while Dad would dust and vacuum the downstairs. We would meet on the middle floor to finish up living room, dining room and kitchen together. There would be some days when I just didn't want to do my chores . . . when sitting on my parents bed watching General Hospital was more my priority. I remember thinking, "I'll get him. . . I'll let him think that I am vacuuming . . . but I won't really do it! Ha! That will show him!!!" and I would literally take the vacuum and run it up and down the carpet just so the vacuum lines would appear. You know . . . I haven't always been the brightest child. I mean - seriously . . . did you get what I was doing? I was doing the work of actually moving the vacuum back and forth all over all of the carpets - but I wouldn't TURN IT ON, as if to somehow make a statement about having to do chores. Seriously . . . I was doing the work - but not. Of course, the thought of him not hearing the vacuum go on never even crossed my mind on those days. I thought I had pulled a fast one! Anyway, I'm pretty sure my Dad probably knew exactly what I was doing, as he would usually follow behind me to "re-vacuum" on those days when I didn't. Ah, well. I was about 14 or 15 during those days . . .  I had to rebel somehow.

I'm re-thinking my three wishes right now. Not the one for lifelong happiness and health for the girls, not the one about playing Yahtzee with Grandma, but the one about Dad. Maybe my third wish could include re-living one of those parties when Dad pulled out the Hoover and vacuumed up under our feet. Yes, I would definitely have to include that in my wishes - for I would give anything to laugh like we did when Dad would do that.

How about you? Can you think of 3 wishes you'd ask for if a genie suddenly appeared? I'd love to know . . .

Comments

  1. Very cool story!
    I will always think of you and your family when I vaccum now! ;-)
    My 3 wishes would be to:
    1. Be 100% healthy (in all ways, mentally, physically, spiritually)

    2. To be given one year to travel to all of the countries i have always wanted to see.

    3. To see my grandparents, just one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...now I think I know how we're related...our Dad's were brothers!! LOL! Seriously that crumb story? SOOOOO my Dad!! Sitting at the end of the driveway....MY DAD, TOO!!:) The tanning, the summer...what fun memories.

    I love when you write about your Dad. Makes me think of my dear father, too. He has been gone 14 years this summer. I miss him.

    My 3 wishes...

    1. That Dad, me and Jackson could go to a Cubbies game. That was his one wish, too.

    2. We were debt free:)

    3. That I could go back and read just one more story with my kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your BLOG and the banner too cute..Im blog hopping and glad I stopped as for wishes..hmm I guess to have my Mom back 2 much unfinished business and just health for me and my kids and hubby(good). Im blessed to still have my dad and I always remember how many times I broke the window and he never got mad(practicing tennis)very patient man:O) Thanx for sharing your story,I hope you have an awesome day:O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, yes, we both definitely waxed nostalgic today. This was a great post. I'm sorry about your Dad's passing. I am blessed to still have mine and my heart will break into a million pieces when I don't.

    I can't think of 3 wishes because now I'm kind of sad :(. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I'm with Gigi, I still have my dad around and my heart will truly break in to a million pieces when he's not around anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my dad too. He lives two minutes away and is one of my best friends. Though he tans and I don't. What's that about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you are remembering him for his quirks, too.

    I would wish the same for my girls.

    Really, if I could eliminate disease, I'd be happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!