31 Days: Day 3 - Be

My Creative Focus for today: Be

Today I am . . . tired. I'm fighting a cold that the girls have managed to pass from one to another, now to me. It's hotter than "H-E-Double Toothpicks" here today, and in the midst of my crankiness, I am trying to . . . Be.

PG is on day 14 of his 25 day trip - and I am so ready for him to be home. I am also ready for school to start (anyone else out there with me?) I am tired of hearing my own voice say the same things over and over again, "Leave your sister alone", "No, you can not have another cup of juice", "I do not want to put Tom & Jerry on again", "No, a popsicle is not a good breakfast". I am a broken record.

Today I mowed the lawn and worked in the garden. There was so much sweat dropping out of me that I made the Hoover Dam look like the desert, I swear. This same garden that I was so happy with on Monday (and provided the most beautiful tomatoes and basil you have ever seen) was full of weeds and beetles today. My hands and arms itched from all of the plants rubbing on them - and, again, can I tell you how HOT it is outside!!! H-O-T!

I was cranky. I was trying to accomplish those things outside while keeping one eye on the girls (not an easy thing to do with Little Miss Ella), and all I wanted to do was just . . . STOP. So, in the middle of all of that, I took a deep breath. I closed my eyes, and let the sun fall on my face. I said some words to myself about counting my blessings and I remembered my focus for the next 31 Days. Write. Create. Be. I stayed that way for a few moments (probably a lot shorter than it seemed.) When I finally opened my eyes, I found myself right in front of the most beautiful sight. I allowed myself to take it all in for a few minutes, then ran inside to grab the camera (my new best friend), and came back to take some photos to share with you.

Have you ever seen how a sunflower grows? From one stage to the next, how they join this world? How they start out like a starburst, and end up like the sun? Right there in my garden were about 4 or 5 flowers all at various stages - just Be-ing. It was so cool to see . . .





And as my eyes jumped from one flower to the next,
a happiness came over me.
Yes, I was happy . . . to just . . . be.
I love this last photo, where you can see three different stages all in one shot. Cool.


"Ah, sunflower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun,
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done;
Where the youth pined away with desire
And the pale virgin shrouded in snow
Arise from their graves, and aspire
Where my sunflower wishes to go."
 - William Blake

Comments

  1. What great advice, Leanne! Just be. Be in the moment. That is an excellent way to let the chaos that is swarming around us settle. Kind of like when a bee comes around. Just be still and calm - and it will pass.
    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love your analogy of the sunflower and just "being"...
    the beginning of your post was crackin' me up, you are a funny girl!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne, this is one of your most insightful, beautiful posts. The fact that you stopped, closed your eyes and just centered yourself, allowing yourself to "BE", that's why you "saw". LOVE the photos of the different stages!! Jealous as all h-e-double hockey sticks of the fact that you have them in the first place. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and photos. So wonderful just to sit and look at the different stages of the flowers. Thanks for making me stop and smell the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved this post!! It's so hard to just BE but soooo GOOD.

    These shots are gorgeous. Way to go, you!! I love the progression, too. A lovely picture.

    p.s.being a nurse, I always giggle when I read PG...and think you are talking about a pregnancy!! sorry..I just had to share. I'm weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures! Great post! I'm really working on learning how to just Be these days, so this really hits home for me. (And, I can't wait until school starts, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how honest you are Leanne, from cranky to Happy, Just being you. You are an insperation lady! What wonderful photos, all around a amazing post.

    Oh and I am sooooo ready for school to start, I'm starting to get a little excited seeing all the school supplies out. :)

    Big Loves XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are so beautiful. I didn't know thats what they looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. simply beautiful

    R

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post, those sunflowers are amazing! I just took a deep breath and relaxed while reading your post...thanks for the reminder to just Be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!