My Favorite Kitchen Novels

I am a messy cook. I don’t know why . . . it’s just the whole timing of things. I’m always behind in what I am doing and I have butter wrappers and cutting boards and pieces of food here and there as I work feverishly against the clock while cooking. Kind of like that commercial for Rice Krispy treats a few years ago, with the lady in the kitchen who throws flour on her face to look like the recipe was harder than it really was. Although, I always look like that when cooking – and sometimes flour isn't even called for IN the recipe (figure that one out!)

But, I love cooking. And I love cookbooks. I can read a cookbook like a novel, page by page, carefully looking through the ingredients list and reading the directions. I often wonder how the creator came up with those particular concoctions and how they knew it would work together. I love that part about cooking. It is like a symphony, isn’t it?

At first glance, you can easily tell where my favorite recipes are . . . it’s ALWAYS the pages of the cookbook that have be splattered with oil or dotted with spices, where the color of the pages are no longer white but now have little spots of brown or yellow. The paper itself is wavy, as if it survived and finally dried after a big rain storm (only, it was me, not rain, who got them wet.) I can take a cookbook and simply fan the pages to find those that are my very favorite recipes. I love that. I’ve tried those plastic shield stands that hold the cook book up straight to protect it from the elements. But for me, those spots and stains represent a good time in the kitchen, and I think they need to stay.

I have two cookbooks that I refer to most regularly when cooking. You might expect them to be written by Julia Child or even Paula Deen. But, they are not. The first is a small Betty Crocker cookbook that I bought through one of those mail order book clubs some 15 years ago – even before I was married. It’s Betty Crocker “Everything you need to know how to cook”, and it is my staple cookbook. Everything from cooking a pot roast to steaming carrots is discussed and it is usually the first place I go to when I want to cook something new to me, but standard for others. I love this book! (This is also where I get my pie recipes from, and you know how good PG’s recent Cherry Pie looked!)

The second cookbook that I can’t live without, is a cookbook that my own mother organized and put together with a committee at the hospital we both worked at. THIS COOKBOOK is INCREDIBLE! Not only does it have MANY of my own Mom’s recipes, but it has recipes from some amazing southside Chicago cooks. I was 15 when mom worked on this cookbook, and I did the cover drawing along with each chapter insert. While the art work leaves MUCH to be desired, the recipes inside are fantastic!

You can find so many (millions) of recipes for the at-home cook online now. And while I love looking around at yummy food blogs or recipe sites, I still can’t get rid of my good ol’fashioned cookbooks. They are a part of my kitchen that will never go away. Stains and all.

What about you? Do you have a favorite cookbook that you refer to? Let me know … I might want to check it out, and it could become one of MY favorites, too.

Comments

  1. I have two also. I also have the Betty Crocker book, but I went with the bigger, binder book. Second one is one I put together. Also a binder, I houses all the recipes I read and cut out and some day will try to make. Will I ever cook my way thru it, a la "Julie & Julia"? No. Probably won't even make half the recipes in it. But I doubt I'd ever throw out even one of those recipes. It's sort of like a safety net.
    Glad to hear your mom commissioned you to do the drawings on the hospital's cookbook!! She saw your talents early on, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how many cookbooks someone has, there are always 1 or 2 with pages falling out, with stains, with tears! Some of my favorites are the community cookbooks and odd little quirky things; I might not ever cook from them, but they're by FAR the most interesting ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many cook books but my favorite one was given to me by my mother in law after I married her son. What a God send, I knew nothing of how to cook. She filled it with all kinds of family recipes (the secret ones) And I continue to add to it to this day.

    It has the same color of pages as your's does. I love to cook and create and can give Julia & Julia a run for her money! HA!

    Your pie looks very delicious!!
    Another favorite place to get recipes is www.thesisterscafe.blogspot.com I follow their blog and have made some great stuff from them.

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to be in the mood to cook which isn't very often. I'm lucky enough to be married to someone who can just throw things together and they're delicious. He knows just what herbs and spices to add to make it perfection. I don't get it.

    I have basics that I use; Garlic salt, basil, salt and pepper. Oh! And I love lime and cilantro on most things. Mmmm.

    I have a ton of cookbooks and never use them. Utter shame, I know.

    Have fun cooking. Let us know what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne - I am there with you! It is soo funny, as I was reading this, I kept thinking.. yes, yep... uh huh.. I do that! ;-)

    I LOVE getting cook books. I love trying new things. Sometimes, I finish and I (because I am a picky eater) will not like it - but every so often I am amazed by my creation. I get such a HIGH from making something from scratch, and it coming out okay.

    I'll be the first to admit I am no Domestic Goddess.. but I do like trying from time to time.

    My favorite recipe books (honestly, the ones I have used the most - without even trying to seem coool ) are:

    1. Country Cooking (lol -I'm a southerner - don't laugh.)

    2. Mezze (North African/Middle Eastern staples)

    3. Vineville Academy Cooks! (My mom's school - contributed recipes - and yes, she put it together!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture just reeled me in today!!! Because frankly - the Betty Crocker cookbook you have is the same one that started my cookbook collection 15 years ago. I was homeschooled, and I got to chose and "elective" course and Home Economics was my choice. So we did a ton of cooking in that course & included with the curriculum was THAT book. I LOVE it. It does have some good basic recipes in it - but lots of measurment conversions and tips on how to cook certain meats/veggies/style of cooking...LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    My other 2 go to cookbooks are from 2 local churches. One is from my Granny's church & has hundreds of tried & true country cooking recipes. The other is from the church I attend and it has more ethnic cuisine and what I call "younger generation" food. But all delicious and the good thing is, if I have a problem, I can actually pick up the phone and call the person who included the recipe in the book!

    :-) Great post today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I'm lazy. I have that same How To Cook cookbook, but so many of my recipes are printed off the internet.

    Those, too, have oil and food spots on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tons of cookbooks...I love to sit down with the kids and go threw them to find new and fun things to cook. Then I have them help me cook the ones they picked out. Sometimes they work out and other times not. The funny part is when the kid that picked out the meal will not eat it cause its yucky. lol
    Your pie looks yummy! put on some coffee I'm comming over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. blogger is being all dorky and posted my comment twice. duh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!