Now THAT'S the ticket!

We are now at Day #8 of PG's 25 day business trip . . . and all is going well. It seems like my family meeting last week (you know the one, right? When I called for MANDATORY PEACE and HAPPINESS from my 7 and 3 year olds?) was really a great start to some happy days here. Yep, it's all been good.

But, you know me. We don't stop at good. (I know, I have to chill!) So, let me tell you my latest hair-brained idea . . .
Actually, I can't take full credit for this one. This is all the genius work of a blog I stumbled upon last week called  Zippy Chix. The idea? Well, taken directly from Zippy Chix's blog, the basic idea is to use tickets to reward positive behaviors and to inspire motivation in your little ones. Then, whenever they want, they are able to "cash in" their tickets for a special reward. You can read about it further in Zippy Chix's post titled; "Kid Currency".  

So, since we have turned over a new leaf in our "Peace & Happiness" home, I thought I'd throw something new into our mix. We picked up some carnival tickets and two little rubbermaid containers at our nearby Walmart, and the girls decorated the containers with stickers, markers and fun paper. 


Next, we put together an agreed upon list of chores and responsibilities that the girls could take part in, in exchange for a ticket (or tickets, in some cases.) Finally (the FUN part), we came up with some REWARDS!!! Things they really ENJOY ... special activities ... a special treat ... something they would be so PROUD to earn. They helped me pick out all of them ... Katie really got into this, while Ella kept asking for a tomato (we just picked some from the garden.) Ah, the little things in life that make her happy!

Every time they complete one of the responsibilities from the top of the list, they are rewarded with a ticket (I'm placing an E or K on each girls respective ticket when earned, so we're sure to have no confusion over whose is whose.) We've been doing this for about 4 days now, and it is going really really well! Katie has earned about 16 tickets, while Ella is at 9. I thought that Katie would certainly cash them in for those crazy rubberbands as soon as she earned 10 tickets, but she just told me she is going to keep collecting them . . . .she's working towards 125 (and CHUCK E. CHEESE'S!!!  Lord, help me NOW!)

What I am most proud of, is how seriously Katie is taking this. At 3 1/2, Ella doesn't quite "get" it all - but she does try to follow along with her sister and she likes to put tickets into her jar. But Katie, she is taking this VERY seriously. And she has yet to try and get extra tickets out of me. I'm really proud of how she is working hard for her reward.

She decorated her jar all on her own, and I smiled when I saw what she wrote on the side . . . (we do a lot of "brave spelling" in our house, but you'll get the idea . . . )
When she finished it, she proudly showed it to me and said, "Responsibility. See Mom?" I said, "Oh, yes, Kate. That is really an important word." She said, "Yep, it is. And I am going to be very responsible with these chores, Mom, and with my tickets, and with my rewards. Because I know that you are very responsible, and I want to be like you." {{sigh}} Every once in a while, I feel like I'm doing this Momma thing right. And that is a really good feeling.

Thank you, Zippy Chix, for the inspiration!!! Love it!

Comments

  1. What an incredible awesome idea!! I wonder if that works for husbands. 1 ticket = a kiss
    2 tickets = two kisses
    so on and so forth.....
    Just think if he saved all his tickets what prize he might end up with...hmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been doing something similar with marbles. it's worked fairly well. I need to create a board that shows them what they earn for each thing. and have a prize list. right now, they have to fill it all the way to get anything.

    so they're getting nothing.

    I have been wanting to post about this topic, maybe I'll go read zippy chix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing nice blog. i really like this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, since it was my babysitting day with Ella and Katie yesterday, we discussed the tickets and rewards list -- reviewing each one in great detail. Katie wanted to make sure I understood the entire system, so that I would be sure to grant her the right amount of tickets. Ella, on the other hand... well... that's another story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only day 8, huh? Does it feel like much longer? I haven't even talked to mine since the 6th... Sigh. Roumer has it he's coming home Monday!

    Love this idea! This is how hubby's family handled chores and allowance when he was a little guy. When we have kids we plan to do this, too :) Cute with the tickets, I think hubby had some kind of spreadsheet :)

    -Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love this idea!! Why didn't I ever think of this when my kids were little? I don't know if this type of thing would work now...it is so hard to get my kids to do their chores at times...other times they are gung ho. I think I'll run this buy them though...it couldn't hurt right?!:) Not too sure how an almost 16 year old would feel about a cute and crafty jar he can fill with tickets-LOL!!!

    BTW, just had to share with you...please tell Miss Ella that my Emma now wants to name her daughter Ella because it is such a pretty name:)

    And be sure and look at your comments from last post...I finally got around to say hi!! Love ya, girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna ticket! I wanna ticket!!!

    I think I'd go for the family FUN day!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!