It's Not Easy Being Green

I may have mentioned before that I am not a gardener. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I totally love and reap the benefits of our garden every single day – but actually doing the deed is clearly not my favorite summer time activity. I am much more suited for sipping a pina colada by the pool. Yes, now we are talking.

However, with PG out of town, I am being held responsible for the upkeep of our garden.

Augh.

To further elaborate on the love/hate relationship I have with my garden, some photos.

The Love
Our Basil.
I LOVE our basil. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Especially when paired with some fresh mozzarella, some tomatoes, a little EVOO, and salt and pepper. SO Good, and one of my favorite flavors of summer. Mmmmm . . .

Our Tomatoes.
We have a lovely bunch coming in right now. Although they haven’t turned red yet, thoughts of them meeting Mr. Basil in a great big bowl make me . . . HAPPY. Or just slicing them up and eating them on their own. Oh, the joy.

Our Cucumbers.
An equally delightful treat on its own. Or lovely when sliced and matched with a tomato and little feta cheese. Throw in some thin slices of onion, olive oil and S&P, and can I have an OPA!!! So good.

Our Beets.
Our very first attempt at growing them is turning out to be quite fruitful. A lovely addition to the summer goodies - I can’t wait to roast them up (350° temp for 30 minutes with a little S&P and EVOO drizzled on top. SO amazingly simple and GOOD!) Oh, and I know this doesn’t look like the most organized manner of planting – and yes there are some weeds in this picture – but I told you PG was out of town. We’re lucky I’m keeping up with the watering!

Our Sunflowers.
Sure to brighten anyone’s cranky mood. Happy yellow sunflowers. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

The Hate

Japanese Beetles.
HATE them. And how dare they go after my sunflowers! You big meanies!!! Don’t know how it happens, but they must REALLY love me. Every time I come inside after watering the garden, there is always one attached to me somewhere. I even do a little shake before coming inside (oh, yeah, the neighbors love me!) But still . . . here’s the beetle! I mean – John, Paul, George and Ringo are fine. But, Japanese . . . no thanks!

Flies and Bees.
HATE. Yep, they are right up there with the beetle. NOT my friends. I know, those little bees have purpose. I just would rather they take a break and go elsewhere when they see me coming. And the flies – augh! I say we put a fly, bee and beetle in a jar and let them go at it! I have no clue who would come out on top. Wait - that sounds like the start of a good joke – “A bee, a fly and a beetle walk into a bar . . .” I’ll have to work on that a little more for you. ;)


My Toes in the Garden.
Seriously. These little tootsies have NO BUSINESS being out there in the garden. I mean, I know I could wear socks and shoes. But, how would I show off my big toe art work if I had to cover them up? (Lovely, isn’t it?) Yes, my toes are not enjoying the gardening this week. This is going to call for a sea-salt pedicure when PG returns!

So, that is just a little bit of my gardening thoughts – the good, the bad, and the ugly (sorry for the foot picture. I wouldn’t usually post my toes – but it seemed necessary.) How about you? Do you garden? Are you a fan or foe? What are you growing this season? I’d love to know. . .

Comments

  1. Your garden looks amazing and your toes are cute!

    I too am proud of my little garden. I planted lettuce and beans from seeds and they actually grew. We've been having fresh lettuce in our salads every night. I'm also growing zucchini, tomatoes,cabbage and cucumbers.

    I think the reason my garden is so happy this year is because I tilled in horse manure compost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I'll do...I'll make you happy by posting some pics of my very sorry garden! ha ha

    I hear ya...it's just not in me. My thumbs...both of them are black!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Your garden is impressive. And to think.. all along.. I was chatting with a fancy toe art girl.. who knew? ;-)
    PS - I still owe you a starbucks gift card. Where to send it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garden, and really love the toe art! I wish I was a gardener, but it never seems to work out for me. I kill all of the plants, but the weeds sure to thrive...!

    -Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is so delightful! Love all the goodness. And that evoo with tomatoes and basil and cheese-heavenly:)

    I can't stand to have my barefeet touch the ground. Seriously. No grass, no cement and for sure my feet can NEVER EVER touch mud! Gross!! Gives me the heebie jeebies:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not the gardener in the family either, but I love what comes from it!! We have sunflowers too, and the first one is open this week.

    I have ruined cute toenails from doing yardwork!! But we DO have to show them off, don't we??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Use to have a garden...but the dog ate it. But sipping a pina colada by the pool sounds like a better idea anyway.
    Cute toes! Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have basil, oregano, cilantro, mint, dill and parsley planted right now.

    I usually have a smallish garden with some tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers and onions but this year I went through divorce in the midst of gardening season and didn't get anything planted (the man use to till & prep the garden area - not here this year)

    I love gardening. And toes in fresh soil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, beets?!?! All i can think about is Dwight Shrute (The Office). We had the dreaded tomato horn worm (I think it's called). Killed one plant entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i gardened years ago, now all i want to do is art...and i'm with you...pina coladas by the pool. oh, that's right, i don't have a pool. how about just on the deck..?
    LOL!
    your garden looks pretty darn good for not really liking the task...and your toes look fabulous...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I garden but the weeds usually win out. This year my tomatoes are taller then the weeds and the zucchini is doing great. Last year neither grew because of to much rain and it was two cold and hardly any sun. This year the weather is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is splendid, and I love tomatoes, if you've me for a neighbour it'll be gone as soon as it ripens!lol

    Hope the bugs stop bugging you at some point! But I think they couldn't resist the juicy look of your veges and the beauty of the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I garden barefoot - because I am nuts! You garden looks amazing - LOVE! I love gardening but am awful at it..I have a brown thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have NO Idea how much joy you bring me. Reading your "random thoughts" and your hysterical rants bring a smile to my face every time I read them!!! I say let's grab that pina colada by the pool (as long as I can see those gorgeous sunflowers still) and bottle up those pesky insects and find out which one will win! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!