A Birthday at Buca to Remember

Just when I think I’ve explained it all . . . the eyes of a 3 yr old challenge me yet again.

But first - we had a wonderful birthday for Katie last week. The big event for this newly turned 7 year old was to get her ears pierced. And I, the Mom, had no idea how difficult the event would be for me. I mean, I was allowing her to change herself, to add a hole to a place on her body that God didn’t send with a hole. A hole. In her ear. Weird.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I do have MY OWN ears pierced, and I got them pierced when I was 7. (This is why I always told Katie she would have to wait until she was 7 to get hers done.) I am relatively OK by my own experience - although some might argue that I lost some brain cells during that whole transaction ;) But, I don’t know . . . now that I was allowing this to take place on MY VERY OWN child – a child who I gave birth to – a child who I have watered and fed and grown from the very beginning – that was a hard thing to say “ok” to. Yes, I hear you . . . get over it, right? Ok. I’m over it.

Anyway, she was a brave girl and really handled the whole thing very well. Here is a before photo …

And an after …

So Cute!

After the ears were pierced and my child was changed forever (ok, I’m over it! For real!) we decided to have a special birthday dinner out at Buca di Beppo. I love Buca … it used to be one of PG and my favorite places to go before the girls were born. It’s been years since we were back, and PG thought it would be fun to take the girls there for some spaghetti and meatballs. They were so excited (going out to dinner is a BIG treat!)

The minute we sat down in our booth – I knew I was in for it. Katie and I sat on one side, while Phil and Ella sat across from us on the other. The minute we got situated, Ella’s inquisitive nature had her exploring the restaurant, and her face immediately changed as she noticed something right over my head. Her mouth dropped and her eyes opened wide. “Mommy . . . what is THAT????” she said, pointing to the object over my head.

Oh dear, I thought, as I looked behind me. I’m not ready for this. Maybe if I ignore it, it will go away.

“Mommy . . . what is that??? Right THERE????” she asked.

I couldn’t avoid it any longer. What was it she saw, you ask?

This. (sorry for the poor quality – but you get the idea.)

Ah, well . . . a brief explanation of the artist Michaelangelo and the statue of David, and I thought I was done. “But what is THAT???” You know what she was asking about, right? THAT (the censored) part. Ok. I am REALLY NOT GOOD at this. AT ALL.

“Oh. Well . . . that. . . . . um . . . .  Ella . . . that is . . . . his private area.”

“Oh, ok.”

***sigh***

We’re going to ChuckE Cheese next time.

Comments

  1. OOOH MY GOD. I am laughing sooo hard. I am totally reposting this on Facebook.. sorry.. it's epic! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha!!! Yes, Buca is not shy about showing off the human anatomy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey come visit! You've got a new award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Oh my, what to say, what to say...You handled it very well.

    They should have ratings on restrants...Ha! That would have been a PG13 for some brief nudity. Ok, so maybe David wasn't so brief.

    Your right Chucky Cheese would be a better choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had the same experience at Buca! Love the food and ambiance but my kids also come out of there more educated than before!!! Love the pierced ears. Went through it with my two girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry I'm laughing so hard!!!! My oldest is 12 at the end of this month and my youngest turned 9 in March. Just wait- the questions get better!! And by better I mean SO MUCH HARDER TO ANSWER!! ;) Happy Bday to your darling daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow amazing...couldn't suppress a smile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too, too funny!!:) We have one of those restaurants in KC and everyone tells us how amazing it is. Gonna have to try it out!

    Em was about Katie's age when she got her ears pierced. I remember feeling the same way you did!

    Love the brown and blue background:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'm guessing she never accidentally walked in on Daddy at the wrong time!!!
    Chuck E. Cheese? Nah...too interactive!! It so much serves YOUR creativity to sit and sweat about how you're going to answer those difficult questions when you go to places like Buca! And then they surprise you by saying, "Oh, Okay".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a funny post! I love your blog!

    I found you via the Lady Blogger's Tea party. Stop by and see me sometime.

    Michelle
    http://pietrosmomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! Yes Buca is certainly an interesting 'family' experience! The bathrooms always crack me up. Love the food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He, he, he! That is so funny! My daughter asks questions about everything! That would have been a question to make me blush! I love the before and after picture. What a cutie! I remember when I had my ears done. That was such a big day! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way too funny! Wait until we share this story with Ella - when she's about 16!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Too funny. You gotta admit, those moments are some of the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by the Hen House! That statue is still making me chuckle. Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the things they notice, right? Funny little Ella! Happy birthday to Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you didn't happen to get her ears pierced at Orland Square did you? Your mention of Tinley Park (I grew up in Orland) made me try to examine the background of that photo, though I haven't been to the mall there in some time.

    Happy Birthday to Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All my friends had their girls ears pierced at like 4 months...I wanted to wait to make it a mommy daughter outing. Anyway I can put sticker on her ears if I want the extra bling.

    Don't you just love 3 year olds...never a dull min. Very funny tho.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!