A Missed Photo Opportunity

My hands are changing. My skin is changing. My knuckles are a little more chapped than usual and it seems all the lotion in the world doesn't help it. I have a few scars here or there, and the veins are starting to be a little more visible than in my younger days. My fingers look a little more wrinkled, too. Yes, my hands are changing. For the record, I've never had beautiful hands. And I'm OK with that (as if I had a choice). The hands I have, have done me well through the years, and I am blessed with them. They help provide an income for my family (I do a great deal of typing at my job), they cook, they clean, they fold, they drive, they write, they create. Yes, they are good hands. Strong. A bit stocky. But good hands.

A few days ago, while waiting for a .pdf file to open on my computer at work (it seems like it takes those files forEVER to load), I found myself sitting at my desk looking down at my hands and thinking. My thoughts drifted quickly to my Grandma Josephine, and her hands. I loved Grandma's hands. And as I age, my hands are becoming more like hers. I started thinking of that scene in the movie Beaches when Barbara Hershey's character starts looking through a box of old pictures to compare her hands with her mothers. That's a great movie, and a great scene.

Grandma's hands were perfect to me. Strong - not very dainty at all - but I think it really depends on how you move them, don't you?

I wish I had taken a photo of Grandma's hands.

I can close my eyes and imagine her shuffling a deck of cards, or dancing in her kitchen while fanning her hands back and forth like a flapper girl. I can see her holding a needle and yarn as she crocheted slippers (probably for one of us grandkids), or how she would shake the Yahtzee dice as we played a game. I see her picking out the perfect earrings to wear with one of her many stylish outfits and putting them on - moving her hands from one ear to the next. And I can imagine her laughing at someones joke and throwing them up in the air as if it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard.

I used to love sitting with Gram and holding her hands. I was fascinated in the veins on top, that became more and more prominent as she aged. I used to take my fingers and "wiggle" the veins back in forth, always asking her, "Does this hurt, Grandma?" She'd always reply, "Nope, I don't feel a thing!" I just loved doing that ...
This is a great photo of Gram with my Mom, taken around 1943. It has always been one of my favorite photos of them - my Mom, a young little girl, with her Mommy. They both are so beautiful in this picture.

I have so many photos of Gram through the years - but none taken of her "Grandma Hands". Sure wish I would have thought to take a photo of them when she was still with us. Ah, well. At least I can still close my eyes and remember them. That will have to be enough.

Any photos you wish you had taken? Or any photos you have taken that you are so glad you did? Please share in the comments ... I'd love to know ...

Comments

  1. This is such a lovely and loving post Leanne. The picture I wish I had would also be of my grandma. It comes from stories my mom told me. She said when my grandma was a young girl she and her friends would race each other on horseback whenever there was a full moon to light up the night. They lived out on a farm. It's such a magical image for me and I wish I had it in a photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to be the best blog post I have read yet!

    Hands are sooo important in our lives. We hold them for support - we hold them in love - we hold them in fear - there is something so comforting about holding hands. Thanks for sharing.

    What would I take more pictures of? Smiles. Friends, family - smiling.. a natural happy smile - doing something that defined them.

    SOOO good post! (Oops.. using egyptian's vocab.. hee hee. Such a great post. There.. much better! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I, too, can remember my grandmother's hands. I have her wedding ring now that she's gone, and each time I wear it I can picture it on her hand.

    The picture I wish I had taken is baby feet. You see those shots sometimes, little bare baby feet, maybe in black and white, with daddy's feet as comparison? Didn't do it with either kiddo, and they just aren't as cute now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful picture of your mom and Gram. My mom's mom died before I had a chance to remember her but atleast I have her name.

    On the other 'hand' the older I get the more I look like my mother, it amazes me how sometimes I catch a look of myself in the mirror and I swear I just saw my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the best kinds of things to remember about our loved ones. What a wonderfully writen post!
    I remember my greatgrandma had one fake breast (back then If you had a lump they just removed the breast) we would always smush and mush her fake breast and she would let us, we'd sit on her lap and smash our faces into it like a pillow. once I tried for her other one "no no honey..that ones real" she told me. Funny the things we remember...my ggrams was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Leanne, what a beautiful post. A gorgeous picture of Grandma Josephine and your mom. Funny how I can see your mom in your grandma and I can see a little of both KJ and EB in your mom.
    Funny, my little sister mentioned to me once that my hands were starting to look like my mom's. (We never knew our maternal gram as she passed before we were born).
    As far as opportunities missed, sure, we all have plenty. Just makes us better at finding them when we get to be grams ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your thoughts. Of course, I am now thinking about my own granma. What a blessing she was in my live. Thanks for reminding me.

    Here from LBS Tea Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a lovely post! I love photographs and preserving memories.
    Thank goodness we have our memories for those times when we have nothing else!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post!I will always remember my Moms hands how strong they where and how her hands tell a story of her journeys. In pictures that I have her beautiful hands are visible.:O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you already know how I feel about my hands ;) I have been noticing the changes in mine lately too. I close my fist as tight as I can and say "look honey, 20" and then I open then and say "look honey, almost 40" Of course we laugh. I seem to notice my hands and the skin on my chest just below my neck. It certainly is strange to watch these changes take place. As for photos with older loved ones, I can't say that I EVER miss an opportunity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this picture! How precious and what a wonderful, wonderful remembrance. Like a love song to your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post and I love the photo! I am your newest follower and thank you for following me yesterday as well. I look forward to reading more meaningful posts such as this. Roz @ La Bella Vita

    ReplyDelete
  13. [color=#207a8e]Nice post! thank you for sharing this information. fromchaoscomeshappiness.blogspot.com really got under my
    [/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#207a8e]bookmarked... Keep up the great site...[/color]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!